Check the sidebar for information on each of our facilities. Visit our Hours of Operation page for the time availabilities of the various facets of the Music Department.
Old Cabell Hall
Originally known as the Academical Building, Cabell Hall is one of three buildings designed for the south end of the Lawn in 1898 by Stanford White. The Academical Building was renamed for Joseph C. Cabell, a member of the Board of Visitors, and houses the University's Department of Music and the Music Library.
Cabell Hall directly faces the Rotunda and it connected with Rouss and Cocke Hall on either side by means of a pergola. This three-building grouping formed an extension of the line of pavilions and rooms on the East and West Lawn.
Old Cabell Hall had upper and lower level lecture rooms at either end of the building with a large auditorium in between. The Auditorium had 1,500 seats of molded plywood, divided into 600 seats below the pillared railings, with additional seating in the gallery, and standing room behind the railing and next to the wall.
A copy of The School of Athens by Raphael graces the north wall of the auditorium. The original 400-square foot mural was completed by Raphael in 1510 and is on display in the Vatican. The copy in Cabell Hall was completed by George W. Breck in 1900 and was presented to the University in 1902 through the gift of an anonymous alumnus. It is four inches off scale from the original, because the Vatican would not allow identical reproduction of its art works. Breck's copy is the second copy of "The School of Athens" owned by the University. The first, executed by a painter named Balze, was destroyed when the Rotunda annex burned in 1895. The Skinner Organ in the auditorium was a gift from Andrew Carnegie in 1906 and was dedicated during a recital by Samuel Baldwin on March 18, 1907.
The front of Cabell Hall features a pediment sculpture that is an allegory based on John 8:23 that states, "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." It was executed by George Julian Zolnay ca. 1898.
The building was inaugurated in June of 1898. James C. Carter gave the inaugural address and Armistead C. Gordon read a poem he wrote for the occasion.
To complement George Breck's copy of the "School of Athens" inside the Auditorium, an 11-panel mural was installed in June 2000 in the lobby of Old Cabell Hall. "The Student's Progress," painted by Lincoln Perry depicts a young woman's journey at U.Va., complete with its ups and downs.
Virginia Center for Computer Music (VCCM)
VCCM serves faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate students at the University of Virginia. Founded in 1988 by Professor Shatin, the VCCM is located in historic Old Cabell Hall, on the Lawn at the University of Virginia, directly opposite the Rotunda.
The Music Department has twelve practice modules in Old Cabell Hall. Modules are for use by University students with preference given during peak hours to those enrolled in lessons or who participate in ensembles. Module hours and information can be found on our website.
Old Cabell Hall sits on the South end of the Lawn, directly opposite the Rotunda.
Parking is available in several locations, including the central grounds parking garage on Emmet Street, the T-4 and E-3 parking lots at Scott Stadium, and the C-1 handicap parking lot behind Clark and Bryan Halls.
See more directions and parking information.
There are a number of bus stops within a short walk of Old Cabell Hall. The three closest are:
Garrett Hall / Amphitheatre Stop: The closest bus stop to Old Cabell Hall is at Garrett Hall / U.Va. Amphitheater. This stop is serviced by the Charlottesville Transit Service (CTS) Free Trolley and the following lines of the University Transit Service: University Loop, Northline, and Central Grounds.
Cabell Hall Stop: Just outside New Cabell Hall is a bus stop on Jefferson Park Avenue. This stop is serviced by the Charlottesville Transit Service (CTS) Free Trolley and Route 4B (4b runs only in the daytime). University Transit Service routes that stop at Cabell Hall include: University Loop, Green Route, and Stadium Route.
Rotunda Stop: Old Cabell Hall is just a short walk down the historic lawn from the Rotunda stop. The Rotunda stop is serviced by the Charlottesville Transit Service (CTS).